What are Drivers and how do I install them?

Dick_Dastardly 13:20 28 Jul 2006

I'm about to clear out my hard drive and re-install the Operating System very shortly, as it's got so much rubbish on it the poor thing is only just creaking along.

I understand how to get the PC to read the Boot disk first, and how to get the OS installed, but then I'm told I need to install Drivers - being a tech novice, I'm not really sure what a Driver is, what they do and how I install them.

For the record I have XP SP2, and I have a whole bunch of disks from the PC manufacturer, so I imagine if I need a disk I'll have it.

Any help / advice most appreciated.

Thanks

DD

recap 13:26 28 Jul 2006

Drivers are software programs that help your computer recognize and run the new and old hardware installed on it. Without drivers, your computer won't detect the difference between a video card and a sound card, for instance.

Windows XP comes with an extensive array of drivers. If you are installing hardware, a printer for example, the driver for this device would be on the installation disc, if not in XP's array of drivers.

VoG II 13:28 28 Jul 2006

You may want to backup your drivers click here and burn to CD/DVD which will save you searching for installation CDs.

LC 13:51 28 Jul 2006

Always a good idea to go to the manufacturers website once everything is working and gt up to date drivers to head off any future problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?