What antivirus/security program do I use now ?

SB23 15:08 09 May 2004

Have been using NIS 2003 on XP for the past year,and I've kept it up to date on a regular basis.Just as I started to get subscription renewal reminders for the end of this month,it informed me that 2 trojans had got in.Now,although,I,ve sorted that little problem,I'm not sure whether to renew my subscription or to try something new.I have read all the previous discussions regarding this subject,but still do not know which one to look at,please help.

Stuartli 15:15 09 May 2004

The free version of AVG from click here works fine for me (I used to have NortonAV), several friends and thousands of others.

Check for updates regularly if you take it onboard as they are prolific at present; usually small and quick to download and are installed automatically.

I've been using AVG for around eight months now and it immediately nabbed the only virus that has turned up during that time.

Fruit Bat 15:23 09 May 2004

I agree with Stuartli, AVG is free so what have you got to lose?

Norton semms to conflict with so many other prorams I got fed up with it and changed to AVG
Remember to set it to update at least evey two days instead of the two week default setting, and scan daily.

Been using it for years,its found every virus before problems have occured.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:24 09 May 2004

All AV's are capable of letting trojans through. They will do little harm. If you are used to Norton keep it..OTOH there is no need whatsoever to pay for an AV and Stuartli has given some good advice.

G

crgb 16:06 09 May 2004

In the light of the above, I've downloaded AVG but it won't run - why not? I'm on Windows XP.

stalion 16:27 09 May 2004

probably conflicting have you un- installed your other virus software

spuds 16:46 09 May 2004

Check here for a reviewed selection of anti-virus, firewall and other computer security and protection downloads click here

Stuartli 17:42 09 May 2004

Have you completed the setup routine and then done an online update for the main AVG program?

If not you will need to do so to update the database; it could be up to around 3,400-3,500kb in total.

It also requires basic configuration but this is pretty straightforward.

I put AVG on a pal's business system the other day which is still running NortonAV - both work together satisfactorily so far (he is intending to drop Norton).

Stuartli 17:42 09 May 2004

You did download the FREE version...:-?

crgb 21:44 09 May 2004

I have Ad-Aware from Lavasoft and Stinger. Also Microsoft security downloads. I downloaded avg6665fu_free. Can't even get into the grisoft site now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?