what anti virus should i get???

french_always_sucked 13:41 27 Jan 2005

I have currently norton anti virus 2003 and i think its time to get a new one.

i have not been looking at anti virus programs for a long time and so need a little bit of help!

what programs are very good??

thanks

steve263000 13:44 27 Jan 2005

I have 2004 and it is great. A big package though, and not good unless you have a fast processor.

french_always_sucked 13:48 27 Jan 2005

well yes, but norton is ok and you get free updates for about the next 50years with a little "tinkering" lol!

bukkaz 13:52 27 Jan 2005

Try avast!
It's free and updated daily. I've never had anything get by it and others I know who have used it speak highly of it as well.

Border View 14:36 27 Jan 2005

I go with bukkaz on this one. I changed from AVG (got tired of problems with e-mail) to Avast and think highly of it. Speak as you find.

Chezdez 14:40 27 Jan 2005

AVG is my suggestion, been using it over a year, and never had a problem with any virus, always got them cleaned up as soon as theit on my system(unlike PC-cillin, which i left for AVG)

the only problem is that, in AVG 7, you get a constant reminder that e-mail scanner isn't fully configured, got a feeling this i just a glitch though

JoeC 14:40 27 Jan 2005

at Virus Bulletin site

click here

noiro 14:42 27 Jan 2005

I reported in a different thread what I think of Norton. I received several trojans that apparently were welcomed by Norton as they all turned my PC to mush. I installed Kaspersky yesterday and don't know how well it will work but it can't do worse than Norton (I hope). And yes I did automatic updates with Norton and scanned weekly but all to no avail.

kissag 14:50 27 Jan 2005

does norton systemworks include antivirus?

Belatucadrus 14:54 27 Jan 2005

click here avast!

click here EZarmor LE

Totally-braindead 14:57 27 Jan 2005

Everyone has their preference, personally I've used Norton for about 4 years with no problems at all, but a virus did get through a couple of months ago. I decided to try AVG free and I'm happy with it although I've only been running it for about 3 weeks. One thing I have noticed is AVG updates are available almost daily but Norton ones were almost weekly. It just seems that AVG enable updates faster though that may just be the impression I have. Norton is meant to be a system hog but I never had a problem with it slowing up my PC. I can't say AVG is better than Norton its too soon, ask me in a year. Course the big advantage is AVG like AVAST is free.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie