What advantage is there with a Intel P45 Chipset

Audio~~Chip 12:08 22 Oct 2009

over a P45 intel chipset based motherboard apart from Crossfire?

OTT_Buzzard 14:16 22 Oct 2009

Pretty much comes down to PCIe support (i.e. crossfire capability)

click here

Audio~~Chip 18:24 22 Oct 2009

Yep, not much between them. Would you think them X48 Chipsets are better performance wise compaired to P43 chipsets? My friend would by my Asus P5QL Pro of me and WinXP if I wanted to change to a better performance motherboard. This is all re my older post. I am not able to work on that yet due to having sold my monitor.

I am Spartacus 18:49 22 Oct 2009

If you're not overclocking (and I seem to recall that you have said that you're not in a previous post) then you may notice as much as 5% difference in performance between different motherboards at stock speeds with the same components.

If you're relying on your own perception of speed as a judge as to how good a motherboard is then your perception of typical applications will be flawed. I have 3 main systems with a E8400, Q6600 and Q9650 all overclocked significantly and all feel just about the same in use except for the system with the SSD. The only time I notice any difference is in video and image editing and apart from rendering the difference isn't great although to be fair all should do those tasks with ease anyway.

If you want to get an idea of how various systems perform then run some benchmarks and compare results.

The CustomPC Benchmark click here is used by them, Computer Shopper and I believe PC Pro and gives a good indication of performance over a range of tasks. I use it to compare any changes I make.

Audio~~Chip 20:30 22 Oct 2009

Re my older post, I was wondering if a better chipset would be a get arround for my slow boot up issue. Not terrible on boot but considering theres only Kaspersky Internet security, Logitech mouse & keyboard software and office 2003 with my specification I would expect better things for the money and hardware in my machine.

I am Spartacus 20:39 22 Oct 2009

With an Asus motherboard it can take up to 45 seconds just to get through POST. You can speed it up by various tweaks e.g. turning off IDE detection if you're using SATA drives, turn off the boot image display, fast POST, reduce SATA detection time to zero.

The most impressive boot performance I got recently was fitting an SSD which shaved about 15 seconds off the time. After saying that what's 15 seconds once a day.

Audio~~Chip 20:56 22 Oct 2009

Are you saying its only asus motherboards which perform like this.

I have disabled the Asus Boot Logo Screen, my HDD is set as 1st boot and is the only booting drive, but re IDE detection & reducing SATA detection time to zero I don't know how to do.

Any help on these would be appreciated.

I am Spartacus 21:23 22 Oct 2009

I'll download the manual and pick out the parts you can turn off or tweak.

OTT_Buzzard 21:28 22 Oct 2009

My Asus Rampage Formula gets through post in way less than 10 seconds - that's with 2 graphics cards, 6 SATA devices and 2 PCI devices.

It's not an Asus thing...at least as far as I'm aware.

Audio~~Chip 21:55 22 Oct 2009

I would be prepaired to go on a higher end Asus motherboard if this true. But first I want to try I am Spartacus tweak options to see if these work.

I am Spartacus 21:59 22 Oct 2009

Mine takes 12 seconds if starting from Shutdown, if it's been switched off at the PSU or wall socket it takes longer as it starts up, checks the power, shuts down briefly and then starts up and runs through POST.

Main Menu - You can disable the Legacy Diskette if you don't have a floppy fitted.

SATA Configuration - Mine's set to Enhanced and IDE, however if you loaded SATA drivers with Windows then yours may be AHCI.
Change IDE detect time out from 35 secs to 0 (it won't necessarily save 35 seconds).

Advanced Menu, Chipset - Unless you have a 64 bit OS then change Memeory Remap feature from default of Enabled to disabled.

Power Menu - I would change Suspend Mode to S3 Only although you may still have problems with Standby with this set.

Boot Menu - You've already said you have Hard Drive as your first device. Disable floppy for 3rd boot device if none fitted.

Boot Settings Configuration Menu - Quick Boot enabled (which you probably have already).
Full Screen Logo to Disabled.
It doesn't look as though that motherboard has an IDE port so that setting obviously isn't there but would be disabled if it was.

Lots of options for overclocking in the AI Tweaker Menu. I don't know how you can resist it:o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?