What about the keyboard?

golfpro 05:12 27 Aug 2009

I have an Acer 5720G which I bought in Austria. I intend to replace the German version of Vista with an English version of Windows7 (clean install), when I get the copy in Oct. But the laptop has a German keyboard, what, if any, differences will this make.
I have a PC which has been running an English version of XP for the last three years also with a German keyboard without any problems,would this be the same on the laptop.

Stuartli 10:06 27 Aug 2009

If it's a standard QWERTY keyboard (as your second paragraph seems to infer), all that will be required is to set Regional Languages and Settings (in Control Panel) to English with the new OS.

wotbus@ 10:11 27 Aug 2009

When you install a Windows OS, during the set-up you are prompted to tell the OS which language of input device (k/b) you wish to use as primary.
This is on a desktop but I assume it's the same for a portable. If you miss the prompt during the set-up process - or - you have a computer which as been set to something you don't like or don't want, it can be changed later by going to:
Start > Settings > Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > (Tab) Languages > Details.

golfpro 14:46 27 Aug 2009

Stuartli. It's not a QWERTY but a QWERTZ keyboard as per the German system. Is it possible to change the keys on the laptop?

interzone55 14:52 27 Aug 2009

You could do one of two things.

Windows has two regional settings, one for the language and one for the keyboard - you could set the OS language to English but the keyboard to German, this would mean that the keys would be correct, as changing the keyboard to UK would mean that the key symbols would be wrong.

Your other option would be to try to source a QWERTY keyboard for the laptop, changing the keyboard doesn't normally involve major surgery...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?