WG111V2 adaptor - Netgear

miskoham 15:17 17 Jan 2006

I installed Netgear on my computer for home networking. It started working perfectly but after putting the USB Adaptor into my laptop it stops working on my desktop pc unless the laptop.
Could someone let me know what has happened and what is the solution.I uninstalled and reinstalled yet is no longer working.

The Kestrel 15:47 17 Jan 2006

I think it would help others to help you if you explained clearly how your wireless network is set up and what you want from it.

Are you trying to share the internet, and if so do you have broadband?

Are you trying to share files and printers on the network?

How is your desktop PC connected to the internet - what type of device and what make - is this a wireless connection or a hard wired ethernet connection?

PaulB2005 15:49 17 Jan 2006

"..putting the USB Adaptor into my laptop it stops working on my desktop pc unless the laptop"

What???

miskoham 18:29 17 Jan 2006

i've got a broadband in the living room and trying to share it with my wife in her room. The host computer is connected to the internet via a hard wired ethernet connection. The client computer is my wife's and this is where the problem is. Where the usb adapter is not being detected after installing the driver as contained in the manual.

After configuring the client computer it was working perfectly. What I meant by my laptop is that i removed the usb adapter from the pc and put in the usb port of the laptop which i reckon might be one of the problems?

What can i do to get out of this quagmire?

The Kestrel 21:36 17 Jan 2006

Is the PC in the living room connected by ethernet cable through a wireless modem/router to the 'phone socket with a filter fitted? What make is the modem/router?

If so, have you installed the software provided on the PC for both the modem/router and the USB adapter? There may be a conflict. Try uninstalling the USB adapter drivers on the PC, leaving just the drivers for the modem/router.

I have a netgear wireless modem/router hardwired to my PC and two other computers connected using wireless USB adapters (also netgear). Once the adapter drivers were installed on these PCs they were able to connect to the internet directly from the modem/router, not through my PC. Is this what you are trying to achieve?

miskoham 22:26 17 Jan 2006

Thanks problem resolved now.

miskoham 22:29 17 Jan 2006

could someone help me out again.I just bought this new laptop and after installing all my applications it just gave a warning of low battery and suddenly it went off. I'm not able to use it again since it has refused to work both on battery and via power supply.
Anybody with similar experience?

PaulB2005 07:36 18 Jan 2006

Can you do 2 things.

1) Tell us in this thread how the prblem was fixed, than mark this as resolved.

2) Start a new thread for the battery probplem. It's currently under the heading of "WG111V2 adaptor - Netgear" so people will come in to help with a Network problem. People who know about batteries might not read it.

miskoham 10:53 18 Jan 2006

The problem was resolved by installing the driver for the D-Link wireless USB LAN Adapter I had b4 installing Netgear. It therefore appeared that the problem had been faulty USB adapter.

PaulB2005 10:54 18 Jan 2006

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?