Western Digital Raptor SATA hard drive.

Doogie Howser 18:30 21 Apr 2004

Is anybody using one of these? I need a hard drive for rebuilding my old PC and want to use the one in my current machine (Abit AT7-MAX2, Athlon 2800 XP+(Barton core), XP pro). I've fancied one of these since it was first reviewed in PCA last year.

The feedback on Ebuyer and Dabs is very positive but a search on this site regarding SATA drives in general, is less convincing. Seem to be stability problems and people needing to do regular reinstalls. However some of these postings are quite old, have drivers been improved? What's the general consensus? I'm not bothered about the extra cost.

Mister Splendid 18:41 21 Apr 2004

I've been using one for several months using Via drivers on an Asus A7V600 m/board. Very fast and no problems. I now have a second one and run them in a striped RAID 0 configuration. Now the enterprise spec drives really come into their own, very very fast! Just make sure you have some air flowing round them and be prepared for more noise than 7200rpm drives.

Rayuk 18:50 21 Apr 2004

If cost is not an option and you are using it as a single drive only[not Raid0]I would do a bit of research regaring the differences between the 37 and the 74gig drives.
I think that the 74 is faster than the 37
click here

Doogie Howser 19:54 21 Apr 2004

Cheers. Don't need a lot of storage at the moment so I think I'll go for the 37 G version with a view to a second purchase in the future and a striped RAID 0 congiruation like Mr Spendid. Sounds rapid.

Won't tick as resolved just yet - want to see if anyone else has any experience with these puppies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?