Western Digital 400gb External Hard Drive Falirue

Slamdunka 18:39 22 Mar 2009

Hey,I have had this WD My Book with about 400gb of space on it. I got it 2006black friday. I have only used about 100gb filled with years of images,videos,assignments,and a large amount of music from my collection. I have this in my machine that is Xp for about a year then in a new Vista computer i got last summer everything was working fun until i booted up today and when i clicked on it in my computer a message would appear saying "J:\ is not accessible, The Parameter is incorrect." I really just need to get the files off of that and onto my home computer, I despritly need those files.

My Computer:
Hp Pavilion a6200n
Windows Vista Home
Ati Radeon 8500gt 512mb
3.5Gb Ram
360gb HD
Amd Athlon 5000+ 2.6 Rated at 7.5

iqs 20:42 22 Mar 2009

Is the WD my book an external HDD?.(see last question)

If the drive shows in My Computer can you run CHKDSK or Defrag?.

Have you checked Event Viewer for any error messages?.

Is the listed in device manager?.

If its and external HDD,I have known the USB interface to fail.If its at all possible(seek advice first),can you remove it from the caddy and use as an internal drive?.

Just be careful,doing even the basic procedure could cause data loss.

Slamdunka 21:22 22 Mar 2009

Thanks for the responce:

Is the WD my book an external HDD?.(see last question) Yea

If the drive shows in My Computer can you run CHKDSK or Defrag?. I can run defrag... It cant run Chkdsk

Have you checked Event Viewer for any error messages?. There are not any

Is the listed in device manager?.
Yea
If its and external HDD,I have known the USB interface to fail.If its at all possible(seek advice first),can you remove it from the caddy and use as an internal drive?.
Idk how to do that
Just be careful,doing even the basic procedure could cause data loss.
I know i really need the stuff on there

woodchip 21:55 22 Mar 2009

CHKDSK can work, but can make it worse. does is show in disc management Partition on the Drive sounds like its Corrupt

Slamdunka 21:58 22 Mar 2009

Yup in disk management it says online but i cant click on it

woodchip 22:06 22 Mar 2009

As above It may be a good Idea to take the Drive out of the Caddy and fit as Slave in a Bay on Your PC to get files of it

Slamdunka 22:12 22 Mar 2009

thank you i am going to head over to my uncles to do this in one of his extra machines, after i get the files off is there going to be anyway to save the hd or am i going to have to get a new one!

iqs 22:13 22 Mar 2009

If your unsure on how to remove the HDD and fit as an internal,I would leave this option to last,if all else fails...

To repair a corrupt HDD you will need to reformat,BUT this will erase all your data.

Have you looked on the WD web site for tools or support?.

woodchip 22:18 22 Mar 2009

You can then Run Disc Checker on the Drive or Clear the Partitions on it and create a new one, then format it for reuse and fit back in caddy. set it as master before fitting in caddy. or it will not be seen

Slamdunka 22:34 22 Mar 2009

Ok is there an instructional guide on how to do this?

iqs 10:50 23 Mar 2009

"Ok is there an instructional guide on how to do this?"....who's it addressed to?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?