Western Digi Extl Drive Win 7 Does Not Recognise

Legslip 22:17 19 May 2010

My pal has a W. Digital My Book Essential WD6400H1U-00. She has recently purchased a new PC with Win 7 and the PC fails to see the drive.

Is it a driver issue and if so are drivers available and how do I install 'em i.e. on the Xtl HD or on the PC?

northumbria61 23:50 19 May 2010

Open Control Panel - Folders Options - Make sure that "Show hidden files, folders and drives" is selected - click Apply then OK.

northumbria61 23:51 19 May 2010

Sory - forgot to say from the VIEW tab - Make sure that "Show hidden files, folders and drives" is selected -

Legslip 08:51 20 May 2010

Hi Northumbria. B...y wierd! My friend has the same PC as me on my recommendation. I bought the W.Digi home with me so I could sus the prob on my PC and plugged it in. Lo & behold, my PC sees it, even with View,All Files & Folders unticked. Mmmmm?

Legslip 10:06 20 May 2010

Thinking aloud. One difference is that she uses Virgin Media Security and I use Microsoft Security Essentials. Had probs myself with Virgin Media (see other threads click here ). I wonder?

northumbria61 11:14 20 May 2010

Go to "Device Manager" - View Tab - Show Hidden Devices - you should see your WD listed somewhere there - if not under disk drives try USB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?