Were is the device manager

Jade 14 G 14:22 01 Mar 2007

I have no sound coming from media player and dvd and have been told to find new drivers from the device manager but haven't a clue how to start and what drivers to get.
Can you help,
Jade

Devil Fish 14:28 01 Mar 2007

right click my computer

left click properties

select hardware tab

then device manager button

scroll down list and look for sound game and video drivers if they are installed you will find them theri

vinnyT 14:29 01 Mar 2007

Go to the;
-control panel
-system
-hardware
-device manager

See if any (prob the sound, video and game controllers section in your case) of the list components have a yellow ! next to them (this indicates a problem).

Then post back here

Jade 14 G 14:41 01 Mar 2007

Got there and there is no yellow! all + against them
Jade

skidzy 14:43 01 Mar 2007

Possibly a damaged or missing audio codec, click here

vinnyT 15:26 01 Mar 2007

In that case, I'd agree with skidzy, dload and install the K-Lite Codec pack (I've used it for a long time) and hopefully, it will sort out your sound probs.

Jade 14 G 15:34 01 Mar 2007

Thanks to all of you, didn't want to upset you all so wasn't sure what to do as codec l have never heard of even though been on pc for 6 yrs but will go now and download it and thanks
Jill

vinnyT 15:44 01 Mar 2007

Welcome, it should work fine but, let us know if you need any more help.

Jade 14 G 17:48 01 Mar 2007

Wantto ask you something as reading all the gen on the codex program there is loads of stuff and l don't understand it as have never seen it before, they say to print it out to know whatto do and what to choose but it wouldn't help if l printed it out.
Only bit l knew was the section on windows media9 which mine is but cannot find anything about dvd, so was going to choosethe meia 9 but will the Dell dvd work then or a l missing something on it,can it mess anything else up as have lots of classes on pc as l teach online
Jade

woodchip 17:50 01 Mar 2007

The sound may be just mutted, Is there a Speaker icon in the System tray near the clock?

Jade 14 G 18:10 01 Mar 2007

No speaker just a volume icon, my son was looking at microsoft and under media player 9 it says.
Note that windows media player 9 seris for XP is no longer and it recommened using series 11.

If this is the problem on mine how do you uninstall the one you have or do you have a better way but this big download of condex there is loads it will do but don't understand any and worried abut messing pc up as l work from it.
Jde

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?