WEP & WPA

Dazza40 22:09 25 Oct 2007

Hi,
I have just received a works laptop with VPN enabled. To get working the instructions state that I can use my home wireless network but must be WEP 128 bit enabled. Sadly my AOL set up is 64 bit.

Looking to move to Sky Broadband but site states that their router has WPA PSK dsecurity. ANy idea whether this will allow me to set up the VPN?

If not do you know if I could replace their router?

Cheers

Darren

irishrapter 06:31 26 Oct 2007

It would depend on if your VPN is hardware based or software, there maybe settings on the router that need to be setup for the VPN to work but I would think that the wireless settings would not have any effect on the VPN setup.

I would point out that using WEP is not good, WEP is very easy to crack and I wouldn't use it for a normal home network let alone a network that is going to be used for setting up a VPN to connect to work.

I would suggest using WPA for any wireless networking, along with a long random password.

dms05 09:55 26 Oct 2007

Sky use the more secure WPA encryption by default. However they do give detailed instructions on downgrading to WEP and recommend WEP 128 bit. It's all detailed on Page 12 and 13 of the excellent Sky Broadband manual supplied with the Router.

Dazza40 20:26 26 Oct 2007

Both,
Thanks for your excellent replies. Having re-read the site details I have become confused with MAC meaning MAC address not MAC PC. Sorry, should have taken more time to take in.
dms05, I will read the manual when in all likelihood I will swicth to Sky.

Thanks

Darren

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?