WEP key help

JamieC 13:39 31 Aug 2007

I have enabled WEP on my router (it's a Netgear router) and have generated 4 WEP keys. I have a laptop which I would like to connect to the router, but have no idea how to connect to the router or how to enter the WEP key. (The laptop is running Windows XP)

Help please.

JC

JamieC 13:43 31 Aug 2007

Also, the laptop that I am trying to connect to the router has a Netgear wireless card in it.

irishrapter 14:04 31 Aug 2007

I assume that you are currently connecting to the router via Ethernet cable, if not you should do before making any changes.

First off do not use WEP it can be broken in about five minutes, if your hardware will allow you to use WPA then do so, using at least a 20 character random password. click here to get a random password.

Log on to the router and under "Wireless Settings" tick "Enable Wireless Access Point" and "Allow Broadcast of Name (SSID)"

At the top, change the SSID to something other than the default name. Don't name the network with something that will either identify you or your location.

At the bottom tick "WPA-PSK" (maybe worded a bit different)
Enter the random password in the box called "WPA-PSK Security Encryption" (You can use the copy and paste function to so this.)

Click Apply.

Disconnect cable.

Using your wireless card you should be able to scan for the network that you named above, when prompted enter the password that you entered in the wireless settings. You can use the copy and paste function to so this.

That should be all thats needed.

JamieC 18:45 01 Sep 2007

Thanks, it works now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?