WEP Encryption with Pipex

YinHoNg 17:26 16 Sep 2004

I tried to enable 128 bit WEP encryption in the configuration screens for my wireless ADSL Router:click here but when i do this i cannot access the wireless connection anymore. I had to restart the whole setup again.
The thing i noticed was that it said that it was WIRED encryption and that instead of using WEP i could use WPA (wireless protection something).

I've enabled the firewall and i've got zone alarm and mcafee. Do i still need to enable WEP?

I'm on Pipex solo 500: i DID call them up and the person who i was on the phone with said that pipex doesnt support WEP but this seems a little unreal.

CAN I ENABLE WEP AND STILL BE WIRELESSLY CONNECTED WITH MY ROUTER?
IF NOT, WILL THE ROUTER FIREWALL AND SOFTWARE FIREWALL (ZONE ALARM) BE SUFFICIENT PROTECTION?

Another question i wanted to ask is about SSID Broadcast. If i turn this off how can i get back on the network? I read that i have to set the SSID to my network name and set the same WEP encryption?
I'm also getting confused with the passphrase and the network key. Are these the same things?
If i DO use WEP in the end, and i use the passphrase to set the key, where do i go to enter this again?

scooby43 09:10 17 Sep 2004

For wpa you would need a server to connect through making it more secure. SSID is the network name for your network you dont need to turn it off. Are you using a wireless adaptor for the other machine, I have netgear wireless adaptor for my mums computer. I use wep feature you would need to set up the wep in the software. The passphrase is generated by the router minium 1 character this generates a key which is displayed. This key is then entered into the adaptors software where there is an option to enter the key 64bit or 128bit. There are other things but hope that makes sense so far. Sorry for my english isnt too good.

scooby43 09:18 17 Sep 2004

here is a link for wpa click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?