well i just got caught out by a trojan

L85A1_marksman 23:52 21 Jun 2006

over msn i was talking to a friend about pictures from foo fighters at hyde park and then a link saying check out these photos of us appeared and i downloaded it thinking it was some of his but he couldnt respond to warn me i opened it it opened a command screen and i instantly thinking "oh no!" but was too late and everyone on my contact list got sent the link. i am running an AVG scan which has already dfound the trojan. i have also tried to stop otheres from opening it and telling them to do the same thing. This has screwed my night up.

johnnyrocker 00:15 22 Jun 2006

easy enough mistake but has had plenty of publicity.

johnny.

L85A1_marksman 00:40 22 Jun 2006

ahh new problem, avg finished scanning and found 6 items 3 i have moved to the virus vault and the other 3 are imbedded and it doesnt have an option to repair shall i delete firefox as that is un the filenname far all 3 objects?

vinnyT 11:10 22 Jun 2006

Try downloading and running ewido, click here, remember to update the sigs before scanning.

It's free to use, but after a trial, it reverts to ondemand scanning/updating, rather than running in the background.

Hope this helps.

johndrew 14:54 22 Jun 2006

If you find embedded malware it is always worthwhile starting in `Safe Mode` and doing scans there as only essential Windows (i.e. basic running mode) are used and malware can be easier to remove.

rodriguez 15:32 22 Jun 2006

This is where you need to know about file extensions. The virus you described was a .PIF file which is an MS-DOS shortcut and is an executable file. Photos are .JPG and are harmless. Some photos can be saved as .BMP, .TIF, .PNG and a few others. But mostly they end with .JPG. I had this sent to me but because it had a .PIF extension I ignored it. Run a load of antivirus and antispyware programs to remove it and make sure the "photos" that you get sent next time don't end with .PIF, .EXE or any other strange extension.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017