Weird !Win98SE screen.

curlylad 00:28 07 Oct 2003

I'm running Win98SE,a couple of friends mucked about with my computer and now everything has gone large, crude, and very very basic looking.
The desk top icons have gone from being the size of roughly a 5p to the size of a 50p coin.
I typed 'winver' and ok and it says I'm running Windows 98 , shouldn't it say I'm running Windows 98SE? What has gone wrong and is there a way I can restore back to the last time it was operating correctly ?

Terrahawk 00:36 07 Oct 2003

it sounds like they have changed your display resolution right click anywhere on your desktop choose propeties from the menu click the settings tab bottom right you will see a slider by the sounds of things this will be at 640x480 move the slider across a res of 1024x768 should be ok click apply if this is no good it will give you a chance to cancel and try a different setting

JIM 00:55 07 Oct 2003

If Terrahawk post has no joy,(it should do) you could do the Win98SE scanreg/restore from the command prompt if not to long ago.

curlylad 01:13 07 Oct 2003

Tanx Terrahawk , that looks much better for size , incidently what setting should my colours be at 16 , 256 , 16 bit or 32 bit.Also the desktop icons still look crude and very basic, I know there is something not right so can either yourself or JIM explain in simpler terms how to do what JIM suggested , where or what is the command prompt?

Djohn 01:22 07 Oct 2003

Try 16 bit or 32 bit and see if that improves the display.

JIM 01:23 07 Oct 2003

When Windows notices a problem with your registry, it will automatically replace the registry with a backup copy. The good thing about this new feature is that you can easily restore a previous registry "by hand"

Start Windows in MS-DOS mode (press the Ctrl key as soon as your PC starts. This will get you the Bootup menu. Once the menu is up, choose Command prompt only)

Type Scanreg /restore -----at the prompt
You will get a screen where you can select which registry backup to use
Choose your backup beore the problem by Date and press Restore

When ready you'll be prompted to Restart your computer

Terrahawk 01:29 07 Oct 2003

the command prompt on win 98se is shown as dos prompt you should find it in your start menu possibly in accesories colour setting either 16 or 32 bit i would say 16 is a happy medium not having a 98 machine in front of me at the momment i will have to leave the rest in someone elses capable hands

Megatyte 01:38 07 Oct 2003

Try High Color(16 bit), 800 x 600.

AH

Wak 09:32 07 Oct 2003

Hi, You could also improve your Start Menu appearance by going to Start/ Settings/ Taskbar & Start Menu/ then tick "Show small Icons".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017