Weird USB Storage drive problem

wednesday 13 00:59 02 Sep 2010

Hi,
I have an 8gb usb memory stick, and use it for music storage to use on my tv and xbox. When I first formatted it, I quickly put on a few album folders which worked fine, but now, if I try to add anything else, the folder contents disappear when I remove the device. I have tried this on windows 7 and Ubuntu, and it appears to remove anything I put into a folder before safely removing the drive.

I Have tried to re-format the drive, but it only allows me to transfer over so many files before leaving me with blank folders.

Does anyone know the cause or have the same problem?

accordion 08:07 02 Sep 2010

Have a look at it in Disk Manager. Is it formatted in NTFS or FAT? Does it show all of the 8GB as formatted and available?

Dave

wednesday 13 23:09 09 Sep 2010

its fat32, and is all available when i format. but when it deletes the files, it doesnt restore the space

rawprawn 07:54 10 Sep 2010

See if this helps. When you format it make sure you press the button "Restore Device Defaults"

robin_x 23:52 10 Sep 2010

You may have number of files or folder limitations.

I can only get about 300 jpg photos on my photoframe memory card. Even though I have plenty of space left and nowhere near FAT32 limitations.

I've never got round to sorting it out properly.
One idea would be to convert filenames to 8.3 to squeeze a few more in. Also, creating more folders. Rher are all in the flash card root at the moment

No idea if your problem iis related but worth checking.

click here

wednesday 13 21:59 11 Sep 2010

I already tried restoring to defaults when I first had to re-format, and it copies the contents of the first 12 folders, the the files in the rest just dissapear when the devices is ejected, and I tried them in a separate folder from the root, but I get the same

Dark Mantis 22:08 11 Sep 2010

Try formatting the drive and then copying a large nearly 8Gb file over to the drive and see if it will complete the copy ok.

VOT Productions 22:36 11 Sep 2010

Gone through Safe Removal before Removing?

wednesday 13 10:01 09 Oct 2010

I always use safe removal.
After copying over a large file, it became corrupt and couldnt be read by any program (notepad just opens it as loads of 0s

wednesday 13 10:01 09 Oct 2010

I always use safe removal.
After copying over a large file, it became corrupt and couldnt be read by any program (notepad just opens it as loads of 0s

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?