Weird siren noise

JC1303 16:08 29 Nov 2003

Some time ago me and my dad installed a CD rewriter on his Evesham Vale PC. When we first tried to boot it up after it made a weird 2-tone siren noise! We turned it off and turned it back on again and after a few restarts it stopped doing it and seemed to function normally.
Dad has now given this machine to my sister, she has set it all up today and the siren is back.
We have restarted it numerous times but the screen remains black and the siren keeps wailing. Any idea why it is doing this and how we can stop it?

DieSse 16:12 29 Nov 2003

It's a voltage, temperature or fan alarm.

Possible a lazy fan - or you left a cable interfering with a fan when you were inside the case

Or your power supply is now a touch too small to cope, so you have a lower DC voltage than you should.

You need to do a visual check inside the case, and also (if you can get it to power on) look at the DC volts in the BIOS and see what is out of kilter.

A good check to see if it's a power low function, is to unplug the optical drives and see if it goes away.

JC1303 16:57 29 Nov 2003

Thanks for the info,
will try that tomorrow

JC1303 08:48 20 Dec 2003

Unplugged a few things and it was still the same.
I plugged the PC into a different mains socket and it did work once but now it is making the same noise.
Someone told me that it could be the motherboard fan but there isnt one, it has a heatsink.
Any more ideas?!?!

Gongoozler 08:53 20 Dec 2003

JC1303, where does the noise come from, is it from the speaker or the inside of the case? If the noise is from the inside of the case, take the side off the computer, get a sheet of A4 paper, roll it up to make a tube about a foot long and an inch diameter. Hold one end to your ear, and hold the other end near the various possible sources of noise and you will soon know which one it is.

JC1303 09:03 20 Dec 2003

I think the noise is coming from inside the case somewhere. Im going to have another look at it later, any more suggestions if I can locate the source of the noise????

Gongoozler 09:11 20 Dec 2003

JC1303, if the screen remains black, there is a problem preventing the computer booting. You haven't told us much about what the computer consists of, but I suspect that the power supply is underrated. Try disconnecting any unnecessary components, such as the cd-rw, and see if it boots up then. It may be that you need a more powerful supply. Fortunately these are not prohibitively expensive. When you have the side off the computer, see what is written on the side of the power supply, and let us know.

JC1303 09:19 20 Dec 2003

I dont know if it is the power supply because the PC worked ok for a few years after we fitted the CD-RW drive. It was only when Dad gave the PC to my sister that it started playing up again. I did try disconnecting a few things but it still didnt work.

Gongoozler 10:28 20 Dec 2003

JC1303, from click here

Award BIOS Beep Code:

Repeating High/Low - Either the CPU is not seated properly or the CPU is damaged. May also be due to excess heat. Check the CPU fan or BIOS settings for proper fan speed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?