Weird PS/2 Mouse Problem

splatter 11:46 20 Nov 2008

Hi all, really hope you can help me with this as it got me bamboozled. I have a PS/2 mouse that no longer works properly. It just decided not to work after a restart. The only thing that changed in the run up to this problem is that I unplugged my PS/2 keyboard and plugged in a USB one in its place. The old keyboard was a logitech so i un-installed the setpoint software, the new'un is a z-board so I installed the Z-Engine.

I have tried everything I can think of, uninstalling the device, restarting a thousand time, changing the mouse for another PS/2 mouse.

Now, before you say the PS/2 port is dud (and this is the bizzare thing), I booted into linux (openSUSE 11) and it works fine. I tried the Windows Installation disc...it *didnt* work. I booted from my bartPE disc and it works fine.

After that discovery I copied the mouse drivers from the BART disc to my flash drive and tried installing them and still no joy!

So I know the mouse works, I know its not a problem with the PS/2 port or a BIOS setting (since it works in Linux & BART) and so I am totally at a loss as to what the problem is!

Any help greatly appreciated as I would rather not go out and but a new mouse untill pay day, but thats a week away and frankly I can't wait that long.

Thanks in advance,
Jay

p.s. I'm using vista home premium.

Terminus90 12:36 20 Nov 2008

you can roll-back to the previous mous drivers or you can implement a system restore to a time when your mouse was working ok.

splatter 12:38 20 Nov 2008

hmm, yup, sure...only one slight problem with that. I turned restore off a while ago and have no backup points :( I know I need shooting for such a stupid offense!

splatter 16:53 09 Apr 2009

sorry for re-surfacing old threads, but I did actually solve this!

I threw the PS/2 mouse out and bought a new one anyway! Not the most technically apt answer, but it got the job done!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie