Weird noise coming from inside computer!!

achouds 18:34 15 May 2017

Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron One 2330 and there has been this weird sound coming from the computer whilst turned on that I have no clue what the problem could be. It makes this sound from the moment I turn the computer on. I recently had to change the hard drive as it was failing however there shouldn't be a problem with the internal wiring since i barely touched any of it. The fans are in good condition and I checked whether anything was hitting them but nothing was.

Here's a link to the audio I was able to record of the noise: 1">[click here problem is the computer hasn't been performing like it used to. Its had a clean install of Windows 10, all drivers are up to date. I have a feeling it may be related to the noise. Never had any of these problems before - the computer always performed exceptionally well.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1]: [click here

Another

achouds 18:35 15 May 2017

The link to the audio is here:

click here

onthelimit1 18:45 15 May 2017

Does sound like a fan. You could remove the side panel and grab a length of flexible tubing. Stick one end in your ear and move the other end around the various components inside the case - it may help pinpoint the source.

achouds 20:09 15 May 2017

I took the back case off and listened to the computer and it turns out to be the hard drive. Is this a normal sound? The hard drive can't be faulty as I just bought it yesterday and installed it. Its a WD Mainstream 3.5” Internal Hard Drive - 2 TB.

bionicle 21:45 15 May 2017

I had a similar noise once which turned out to be a grumbly fan on the graphics card.

alanrwood 08:45 16 May 2017

If it is a noise from the hard drive I would be looking to return it to the shop just in case. To be fair conventional "spinners " do make a sound when reading or writing data but it should not really be too loud that it can be heard at a level which is intrusive.

lotvic 21:08 16 May 2017

To check if it is the Hard drive - remove the hard drive and power pc up without it. Check for noise.

When finished listening, to switch tower off, hold in the power button for about 10 seconds until it powers down.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires