Weird 'Grind' Noise During Loading?

Jim Capo 20:04 21 Nov 2004

For the last few months on and off, my PC (Which is a 2 year old HP Pavilion) makes an odd scratching / grinding noise whenever I do something which means the PC needs to load. For example if I open MS Word, during the few seconds it takes for the application to open the noise happens. I'm not an expert on the technical side of PC's but I suspect its something to do with the Hard Drive...

Alex-188000 20:06 21 Nov 2004

You probaly guessed wright. The noise COULD be your hard drive. Have you knocked or damaged the hard drive recently?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:09 21 Nov 2004

Some hard drives are noisier than others.

If this is a new noise then back up your data immediately and be prepared for the drive to fail soon.

JIM 20:14 21 Nov 2004

Do a scandisk if win98, or a check local disk,if your system is winxp to see if you have any bad sectors first.A scratching / grinding noise is not good news so do some backing up of what you require just incase.

Jim Capo 20:14 21 Nov 2004

It's a 'new' noise...IE isnt something that happened during the first year of using the PC...so I do think it's just general wear and tear, as nothing dramatic has happened to the hard drive. My only concern is that its about 2 years old, and I wonder is that a good innings for a hard drive, or does it vary from PC to PC?

woodchip 20:21 21 Nov 2004

How long since you defraged the Drive

Jim Capo 20:27 21 Nov 2004

I'd say its been a good few months...only done it once or twice since I've had the pc...I havent really ever known what this function actually does.

woodchip 20:37 21 Nov 2004

If I was you try Defrag your drive

Jim Capo 20:52 21 Nov 2004

Thanks for your help fellas

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?