Weird file that has appeared

Fateful Shadow 19:00 24 Jan 2007

I just noticed a file called "%systemdrive%" that has appeared on my desktop, which wasn't there before I restarted a few minutes ago =/

I've done a spyware and antivirus scan, and they've both come up clean. I'm just wondering whether it's ok to delete this folder or not, as I cannot hide it (greyed out in the attributes.).

The folder hierarchy goes:

%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\Luke\Application Data\Microsoft

and then is followed by two folders: "CryptnetUrlCache" and "SystemCertificates." The former contains files with alphanumeric names, and the latter contains no files.

Any ideas?

Thanks =]

VoG II 19:06 24 Jan 2007

There's a cure here click here

Technotiger 19:09 24 Jan 2007

Hi, System Drive is, I believe, your 'C' drive.
I don't know how it would have appeared, unless you have accidently made a desktop shortcut. If it is simple a shortcut, then you could delete it. What happens when you click on it - both right-click and left-click?

Fateful Shadow 19:12 24 Jan 2007

Making another profile to get around this seems a bit excessive. But, if it's the answer, then I guess I should follow the advice given =/

Technotiger, it's not a shortcut. Left-clicking gives the hierarchy described in the first post, right-clicking opens up the properties page as if it were any other folder.

Fateful Shadow 19:43 24 Jan 2007

I have noticed that when I open the folder, the path reads:

C:\Documents and Settings\Luke\Desktop\%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\Luke ...

so it looks as though it's in a kind of 'loop.' Would this mean that I could copy the filesinto the "C:\" directory from the "%SystemDrive%" directory (even though in practise they are the same) and it has no effect?

Thanks again =]

Fateful Shadow 21:01 24 Jan 2007

Never mind, cut and pasted the files into the appropriate directory on the C: drive and all seems well now.

Shall tick as resolved =]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires