Weird E.mail addresses in Inbox

billyliv 08:39 14 Jun 2003

Hi, Self built system, Win XP Home. I have a Hotmail account exclusively for family and friends. Recently I have been getting mail into this account from weird looking mail addresses, lots of double letters in the heading. I hit the Delete and block option but there seems to be no end to the combination of addresses coming in. I must stress that I have never replied to any of these addresses. Is there another way to block these unwanted mailings?. Cheers, Bill

powerless 08:44 14 Jun 2003

Spam filtering in Hotmails mail options.

Click options...

Click Junk mail filter...

Now choose your option for filtering.

"Note: At Enhanced and Exclusive levels, wanted messages are occasionally identified as junk mail. Check your Junk Mail folder regularly to make sure wanted e-mail has not been moved there."

Wak 10:13 14 Jun 2003

Hi Bill, You could also try MAILWASHER which can Delete, Bounce or Blacklist all Spam before it's downloaded.
I wouldn't be without it.

Jester2K II 10:57 14 Jun 2003

These weird e-mail addresses are from Spammers sending you spam. Set up your filters as above and just delete them. The addresses are weird because spammers have caught on that when people "bounce" mails back (return the messages with a sort of addressee unknown message) they get flooded with bounce messages.

So to prevent that they make up fake addresses which bounce back to nowhere.

The problem is bouncing messages back to faked addresses just wastes more internet bandwidth so just delete them without reading them!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone