This weeks updates Problems

golfpro 09:31 15 Oct 2010

I run three laptops, 2 widows 7 and 1 XP. On my main one a Sony Vaio I downloaded the latest Windos update (quite a big one) when it had finished I restarted and found that one program had disapeared from my desktop (trouble is I can't remember what it was) there are one or two other minor probs as well. The other two laptops an Acer running Win 7 and a Samsung XP are ok after the update. Why just the one and is there anything I can do System Restore etc. Has anyone else had the same problem???

iscanut 09:50 15 Oct 2010

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean an icon has vanished or a complete program ? Can you be more precise please ?

iscanut 09:50 15 Oct 2010

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean an icon has vanished or a complete program ? Can you be more precise please ?

rawprawn 09:53 15 Oct 2010

Use system restore to a point before the update, then try the update again.

golfpro 10:12 15 Oct 2010

It was the icon that vanished. I think I will try a System restore and start again.

Seth Haniel 10:20 15 Oct 2010

it can't have been used everyday if you can't remember - just wait till you go to use the program then locate it on the drive and create new shortcut a lot less pain than system restore and reload all updates again :0

golfpro 11:11 15 Oct 2010

Well I've done a System Restore, and everything is back to normal but I think I will wait a bit before hitting the update button again. Maybe Microsoft Will bring out a patch to fix the obvious glitch in the last one. I'm not the only person to have experienced this problem I gather so I will wait and see.
BTW it was my Windows Media Player Icon that went missing.

onthelimit 12:17 15 Oct 2010

Yes, this happened to a friend - Word disappeared completely. System Restore sorted it out.

iscanut 12:28 15 Oct 2010

If it was just the icon that had vanished and the program still intact, then no need to do a system restore ! Very concerning if Windows Media vanished as it is an integral part of windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?