webstar modem causing desktop to restart

nevaeh 06:32 03 Feb 2008

so recently i had my webstar modem installed but since then, my comp has been restarting on its own every now and then. its done this at least 10 times within the last day and a half. when it does start again, theres an error stating windows cannot find blah blah blah. then it tells me at different times that the error is coming from my printer and from the webstar modem. this has only started happening since the installation of webstar. can anyone help me pls?

crosstrainer 08:27 03 Feb 2008

click here

And see if it helps.

nevaeh 09:49 03 Feb 2008

i've just tried and while responding to this, it restarted again.

crosstrainer 12:25 03 Feb 2008

It might be a good idea to uninstall the modem, and it's drivers and try a fresh installation.

nevaeh 13:04 03 Feb 2008

how would i go about uninstalling the drivers and the modem?

sand_danser 13:14 03 Feb 2008

Are you using a USB cable to connect to the PC from your modem? The printer & modem may be conflicting via USB causing the O/S to crash.
Try using the RJ45 LAN card connection if there's one installed as the USB cable conn. causes a lot of problems. You can buy a LAN card for around £8

good luck.

nevaeh 13:21 03 Feb 2008

yes i am using the usb. i've just uninstalled my printer and now the only error im getting is the webstar modem. i will try your suggestion and post back. thanks again

nevaeh 13:24 03 Feb 2008

quick question: would the LAN card be the ethernet phone jack looking one? when i use the ethernet plug, i dont connect online at all.

ambra4 14:00 03 Feb 2008

"would the LAN card be the ethernet phone jack"

Yes above the USB ports

Check that the driver for the LAN card is installed- Right click My computer on desktop-

properties-hardware-device manager-any yellow question marks on the network adapter

if a yellow question you will need to install the lan card driver

If none check that the LAN card is enable-start-setting-double click on network

connection-right click on local area connection enable if disable

You now have to configure the LAN card and the

network in windows to allow access to the modem.

Check this posting on the correct set-up of the Lan card and network connection

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?