Websites or books on ungrading a PC

jz 23:12 31 Jan 2003

...Mine is a Dell with celeron 333, and I'm wondering if it is worth upgrading by fitting a new motherboard + processor + memory + hard disk, or is it more cost-effective to buy a new PC.

If I upgrade, will I also need a new power supply? I'm happy with the software I have (Win 98), so there's another good reason not to buy a new one - usually you get new software thrown in even if you don't want it, and that must increase the cost.

billyliv 00:20 01 Feb 2003

Hi, Looking at your thread it is easy to ungrade. Put a hammer through it. Seriously, if you take a look at some of the offers that are being pushed around about the £400 mark they are hard to beat. I certainly couldn't build a system with the same spec as what they are offering especially with the O.S. and software thrown in. I custom build, but even I am being tempted to buy these systems and alter a few components to suit. Cheers, Bill

t00ny 00:38 01 Feb 2003

i agree with billyliv, i work in retail selling pcs and some of the offers going around at moment are bargains. By the time u upgraded u could have bought a new one. I also custom build my pcs, but if u shop around u can pick up a bargain pc with good spec on it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017