Website pictures sometimes don't appear

Pineman100 16:53 12 Sep 2007

When I visit a website, I usually have no problems. But from time to time, instead of a picture, I'll just get the well-known red X - I think it's called a "placeholder".

Why does this happen, and what can I do to prevent it? I suspect it may be something to do with firewall settings - if so, please could you explain precisely which settings I need to alter?

Many thanks.

Marko797 17:15 12 Sep 2007

U need to allow cookies for the site that ur viewing in ur f/w controls. Which f/w do u have?

Pineman100 17:27 12 Sep 2007

Cookies? Really? How do they affect pictures?

I'm using Norton 360 with the Windows (XP SP2 Home) firewall turned off. There's also a firewall turned on in my Belkin router.

Clapton is God 17:30 12 Sep 2007

Assuming IE is your browser, go to Tools; Internet Options and ensure that Privacy and Security settings are both set as 'Default'.

Pineman100 18:03 12 Sep 2007

Security was at a Custom setting, so I've reset it to Default.

On the Privacy tab, the Default button is greyed out. Does that mean that it's already set at Default?

Acx 18:27 12 Sep 2007

You could also check Tools>Internet Options >content>content advisor>enable and see what any slider is set to (none on mine).

If you have any other parental control software you could look those settings.

Pineman100 18:34 12 Sep 2007

Content Advisor is not enabled on my computer.

And as for parental controls... I lost control of my kids about 30 years ago!!

Clapton is God 18:55 12 Sep 2007

"On the Privacy tab, the Default button is greyed out. Does that mean that it's already set at Default?"

Yes

Pineman100 19:05 12 Sep 2007

for your suggestions. I've made the suggested changes to IE. This has been an infrequent problem, so it will take me a while to see whether it's solved.

I'll report back at a later date.

Many thanks again.

Acx 19:23 12 Sep 2007

'as for parental controls... I lost control of my kids about 30 years ago!!' ..........I'm just getting to that stage, I think.

If it's infrequent then it could be the actual web site that you are viewing that's to blame.

Pineman100 18:09 26 Sep 2007

Just to let you know that in the two weeks that have passed since I last posted, the problem hasn't appeared once. So - fingers crossed - it seems to be solved.

Many thanks to everyone. Your advice is much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?