Website loading very poor... why?

Winxx 11:36 09 Jul 2007

My website: click here
(still under construction)

But for me when i go to the URL you see loads of boxes and its really nasty to look at for a few seconds, seems to long to fully load the page, how come?

Quiet Life 14:58 09 Jul 2007

It displayed OK . Time in pictures coming up was OK.
Images only about 20kb so small enough.
Windows in frequently asked questions need a bit of adjustment.

IntoPCs 15:59 09 Jul 2007

I just tried looking at your site - the homepage loaded slowly (my network speed) and I could see alll the boxes as you mentioned, but as stated above this wouldn't happen with a decent connection.
When I clicked on the links to other pages e.g. How to buy or FAQ it went to freewebs.com and stated that the page did not exist! Have you made some changes?

Gingermum 08:21 12 Jul 2007

Your site is slow for a few reasons. If you create a web site by using online templates you generate a lot of dirty and superfluous code. Can't be avoided if you use this method. A coder would have taken a quarter of the space, possibly less. So that is your first thing.

Looking at your site there are 20 graphics most of which are a result of using the template, whereas a coder would have used probably only 2. (There's even one hidden behind your main page. You can just see the edge on the left.)

What I also wonder is why your books are 3 graphics instead of 1. You'd be better off editing them in a graphics editor and creating one.

Linking to Google analytics will also cause a slight delay.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone