Website Link Checks

thegreypanther 19:42 11 Dec 2008

Can anybody recommend a good website link check program?
I am currently using Xenu's Link Checker, and have previously found it to be very useful.
But for a website of mine which I am now trying to check for broken links, Xenu is producing over 40 pages of errors in its report where the "broken" links are "time-outs" or "no connection".
The links are certainly there, and the website is working. But the surfeit of alleged error reports is masking the broken links which REALLY matter.
Any suggestions?

Kemistri 02:30 15 Dec 2008

Link checking software has never even crossed my mind, really, when you can do it on-line just fine. There are lots of link checking websites (such as the W3C's tool), apps (try Linkchecker at Sourceforge for example), and even a Firefox add-on.

If you still get timeouts from other tools, you may need to look at the performance of your server or your code.

thegreypanther 09:33 15 Dec 2008

Thanks, Kemistri.

I use Xenu after reading an article in PC Advisor,and have previously found it to be extremely good. The biggest benefit of Xenu is that you can produce a printed report, and then work through all the problem links, - checking them off one-by-one.
I worked round my current problem by selecting one of the report options in Xenu.
The website I needed checking was
click here
I probably DO have coding problems, but the website seems to work OK nonetheless.

I'll have a look at Linkchecker at Sourceforge and see how it compares with Xenu.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017