Website Hosts - with MySQL Database

The Ghost of Inept Pig 19:52 28 Sep 2006

Hi all,

I'm after a reliable host who provides an effecitve support service, and also offers a decent sized MySQL Database that runs at a reasonable speed.

My current hosts seem to find my sites erratic loading times acceptable, and seem to refuse to accept that the MySQL errors that I'm getting are anything to do with them - which isn't very helpful.

So, any recommendations?

Forum Editor 23:32 28 Sep 2006

and I'm surprised that you feel your hosts are to blame for database errors. It's possible, but unlikely.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'decent sized database' - the size depends on you. Your total hosting package server space will be the limiting factor, all your site files, plus your MySQL database table(s) must fit into that.

Forum Editor 23:33 28 Sep 2006

what error messages are you getting?

The Ghost of Inept Pig 18:04 29 Sep 2006

Well, if thousands of other internet sites can run same forums that I do - without incurring the extremely slow load speeds (and frequent error messages) then the logical conclusion must be that it's not the software - but what it's being hosted upon.

The SQL error tends to be (in my experience): Too many connections.

It's not like the forum does a roaring trade and has thousands of posts (it has tens, on a good day!) so I struggle to see why it should suffer slow loading speeds.

Forum Editor 18:44 29 Sep 2006

That error message tells you that all available MySQL connections are in use. The maximum number of connections is handled by the max_connections system variable, and you can alter it from the default value (100).

Running on a Linux server you may be able to handle up to 4000 simultaneous connections, although the actual number will depend on the amount of RAM in the server. That's why I said it's possible, but unlikely that the error was caused by your web host. If the host has insufficient RAM in the server it's possible that MySQL could throw a wobbly. Try changing the value for max_connections.

The Ghost of Inept Pig 19:40 29 Sep 2006

The site is hosted on 1&1 Business (click here;jsessionid=9859D63CB5DAC7D15456914A334BD9F6.TC33b?__frame=_top&__lf=Static) - which runs on Linux. I've contacted their tech support and the common recommendation tends to be to upgrade to a dedicated server - which is a huge step up in payment terms, and something that I don't think I should need to do when running such a small site!

The site has previously (it's three years old now) ran fine, but over the past tweleve months these problems have become more apparent.

The Ghost of Inept Pig 19:41 29 Sep 2006

The link again - click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?