Website Help

Ross Murray 21:27 30 Apr 2008

Hi,

For my college course earlier this year I created an Interactive CD-rom using Macromedia Director on the subject on mountain biking. I am now in the process of converting it to a web site. Its made using css and GoLive CS2. Anyway I'm having what is probably a very easy problem to solve.

Now although I don't like the idea of having background audio, I believe it is a requirement for the project, a unit in HN Interactive Multimedia - Researching Multimedia Applications For Practical Redelivery.

So, I've nearly completed the conversion, located online here ... click here

I'm having trouble adding the background audio. Its an 860kb mp3. I'd like to have it controlable via windows media player, but using golive I cant get it to work. I've also tried using html and putting it in the header using bgsound src="media/audio.mp3 loop=1"> /bgsound> but it also wont play.

Does anyone have any ideas? Also general comments on the design/ site would be helpful.

Thanks
Ross

Ross Murray 10:34 01 May 2008

Hi,

Thanks for your comments, I am aware of the these problems.

I can tell you why some of these problems exist:

Text size too small, as mentioned above the original application was designed for implementation with Macromedia Director. The cd-rom makes uses of a scrolling text box to implement larger text sizes. I did not want to implemement any frames on the website and because of the slanting nature of the background area, it is not possible, as far as I'm aware, to create a repeating silver to allow for a larger background area.

Because of this I do agree that text sizes could be larger. The contrast issue... I thought it wasn't too bad, I've experimented with other colours... white isn't too bad... any suggestions?

It is not my intention to have it searchable by web-bots, its purely online for demonstration & testing purposes.

Agree that link colours are a mess... I believe their is a conflict issue is the css which I will fix.

Events links will be sorted, should have mentioned that it isn't complete yet.

The "/Gallery" etc is just a thing I've noticed in modern design over the last year. Perhaps its not to everyones taste.

Screen tips I agree should, and will be implemented.

I think that responds to most of your comments. Its my first attempt at creating a CSS based site and I accept their is errors. The design issues you bring up are important to me though, and I will endeavour to sort them... can you suggest a better contrast, which will go with the general theme?

Ross Murray 10:34 01 May 2008

Hi,

Thanks for your comments, I am aware of the these problems.

I can tell you why some of these problems exist:

Text size too small, as mentioned above the original application was designed for implementation with Macromedia Director. The cd-rom makes uses of a scrolling text box to implement larger text sizes. I did not want to implemement any frames on the website and because of the slanting nature of the background area, it is not possible, as far as I'm aware, to create a repeating silver to allow for a larger background area.

Because of this I do agree that text sizes could be larger. The contrast issue... I thought it wasn't too bad, I've experimented with other colours... white isn't too bad... any suggestions?

It is not my intention to have it searchable by web-bots, its purely online for demonstration & testing purposes.

Agree that link colours are a mess... I believe their is a conflict issue is the css which I will fix.

Events links will be sorted, should have mentioned that it isn't complete yet.

The "/Gallery" etc is just a thing I've noticed in modern design over the last year. Perhaps its not to everyones taste.

Screen tips I agree should, and will be implemented.

I think that responds to most of your comments. Its my first attempt at creating a CSS based site and I accept their is errors. The design issues you bring up are important to me though, and I will endeavour to sort them... can you suggest a better contrast, which will go with the general theme?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?