WEBSITE COUNTERS

rotormota 20:11 13 Jun 2005

Hi,

I'm in the process of building a website & wondered about site counters. I have 3 recommendations from my server so trustworthy I guess. They are all free as they come with a small link to each company.

Is there anything to watch out for? Are these counters OK? Any other recommendations?

Cheers.
J

PurplePenny 23:38 13 Jun 2005

Counters (in my opinion) are seriously naff. They don't serve any useful purpose and can be counter-productive (no pun intended): if there are only a few hits it makes your site look a bit sad; if there are too many hits visitors might think that you've fiddled it.

phil 00:12 14 Jun 2005

Although the ones that show a rather large graphic with numbers on, a la Bravenet, are a bit naff some others can be quite useful.

If your site will be getting traffic it's interesting to see how many are on at a certain time and from where they are coming.

You can use your web hosts own stats but I find these, in my case, are a pig to get at and are just meaningless rows of figures.

I use Sitemeter click here on my site click here and have the un-obtrusive small box graphic that sits quietly at the bottom minding it's own business.

I click on it occasionally for a bit of self gratification as I watch it clock up another thousand or so.

Mine's set as private for my eyes only. Sorry.

Patr100 21:29 15 Jun 2005

Visible site counters are seriously naff and meaningless vanity -

I use statscounter - free & invisible site statistics - even more detailed than my paid for host statistics:Highly recommended.

click here

Elyse 19:46 16 Jun 2005

i would also recommend site meter.

phil 01:02 21 Jun 2005

If you're still interested I've found one with public access.

click here

conrail 19:06 02 Jul 2005

this is free; click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)