Website building problem

rod45 08:31 27 Mar 2009

Hi all,

I am trying to set up a website to advertise and possibly sell certain handcrafted items i make, i have got a domain name and i am using a free web host called 000webhost. They provide 300 free templates to use. I have had the website since February and not yet managed to get it up and running. I have so far chosen two different templates, the first template that i really liked had a column on the left hand side on each page but when i put stuff in that column it appeared on every page, i wanted to put different stuff in the column on each page.

The second template i chose has a coloured box which i naturally assumed would increase in size the more stuff i put in, but it didn't the text and photos ran out of the box which was left at the top of the page.

Has anyone used webhost for setting up a website and would know what the problems are. Or can i cancel my account with them and use a different free host that would have easier to use templates.

Your help would be much appreciated as im pulling my hair out with this one.

Thanks

Rod

manrow 08:53 27 Mar 2009

I am partway through a website building course and hence have a little knowledge!

We are taught to use templates for exactly the purpose you describe! That is, fill in the template with information you wish to be on every page. In its simplest form your template would have all the page buttons in the same place on each page as created in the template. If you want something different then create a new page.

Secondly if you start off with blank pages rather than the templates you talk about, then you can set for yourself where the boxes will go and their sizes, or no boxes at all if you so wish.

There are some free tutorials available on the web so I would suggest you google for a free tutorial on website building and try to learn from scratch. Otherwise most local authorities run courses on website building either during the day or evenings. It is quite simple for basic websites but you must learn the basics first!

Best of luck.

crosstrainer 08:54 27 Mar 2009

Templates are a very good starting point, but you need to create each page as stand alone...then build your links.

rod45 11:28 27 Mar 2009

Thanks Guys, I tried adding pages but they are the same as the template,crosstrainer what do you mean by creating pages as stand alone then building links, sorry i am new to this and didn't realise building a website was so difficult.

crosstrainer 11:42 27 Mar 2009

It depends on what you are using...But as a general way of looking at things

1) Create your front (Banner if you like)

Then create "New page" from the menu.

Diamond9 19:00 07 Jul 2010

Hi Ron,

Get a free ebook giving step by step instructions,
its the one I used to start, it is so easy to follow, need to put in your name and email address thats all, click here hope this helps.
Mike

Sea Urchin 19:52 07 Jul 2010

And you might also get more help on the Webdesign forum

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?