webroot spysweeper and adaware

pookie 21:35 26 Apr 2008

hi

got paid for webroot spyware, anti virus and firewall based on mag reviews and posts for my internet security. Basically everyone says spysweeper is best anti spyware.

I have updated it and scan (full scan) and it found 15 items which were quarenteened and i then deleted them. However, i updated adaware and ran a full scan and it found 32 items?

How can this be?? I have not messed with the spysweeper settings or anything like that

Ditch999 22:51 26 Apr 2008

Adaware usually finds a lot of cookies (small files with personal info in them) in its scans. The other ones are not just as ruthless in their approach. Cookies are not really malware and most are not spyware.

birdface 22:56 26 Apr 2008

Used Webroot Spysweeper years ago and was not impressed with it.maybe it has improved a lot since then.To tell the truth even if it was free I would not use it.But that is only my opinion.Lots of good freebies out there.

pookie 10:40 27 Apr 2008

thanks guys - my problem is that if you can have lots of spyware programmes on pc then adaware will pick up what spy sweeper misses and vica versa. However, i bought it on strenght of spyware. I can only have 1 anti virus running - so how many viruses is webroot spy sweeper and anti virus missing but i won't know as can't have second anti virus to pick them up?

birdface 10:56 27 Apr 2008

Well I hate saying this but I found Adaware as bad as Spy Sweeper.You can get A Squared-SuperAntispyware or AVG Anti-Spyware all free and probably do a better job than the 2 that you picked.Like I say its only my opinion I have tried your selections and did not rate them.But they may have improved a lot since I used them last.Nod 32 gives you a free Anti-virus scan so you could try that occasionally if you are worried about your anti-Virus.

pookie 11:01 27 Apr 2008

thanks guys. I got webroot on strenghts on internet security suite packages reviews / surveys etc. How can so many claim it's so good when free programmes do a better job. even the pc advisor security section rates webroot spysweeper, anti virus and firewall very highly from a review a couple of months ago click here

birdface 12:15 27 Apr 2008

Well it was not what you would call a great review.Just tells you what it does and does not do a comparison check with any other programs.Oh that basis alone it would not have tempted me to buy it.Its probably a very good program but not for me.AVG 8 free has just came out and does all that.A few teething problems at the moment but I am sure that they will get that sorted soon.Oops sorry Firewall is not included.

pookie 12:18 27 Apr 2008

thanks again - agree no comparison against other packages in like for like but gives 4 stars as it does for kaspersky, norton, trend micro

pookie 12:21 27 Apr 2008

looking at avg 8 free - does it block spyware and viruses as well as just remove spyware and viruses ie some sort of virus and spyware shield? ie does the new avg 8 free anti virus have the avg anti spywrae free build into it?

birdface 12:35 27 Apr 2008

Yes it has the anti spyware with it.It also has a program that warns you if you are going into an unsafe site.But I would not use it at the moment as it has a few teething problems.It has anti-virus. anti-spyware.e-mail scanner.link scanner.+ resident shield.and update manager.

pookie 23:25 02 May 2008

hi

as an update on the above my spysweeper is freezing my pc during every scan now and i have to power off to clear it. i have uninstalled it and installed free avg 8. As avg 8 comes with antispyware and shield do i need something like spyware terminator as well as a shield (i've heard it's very good)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?