Webpage design

Gary 14:38 16 Feb 2003

I have designed a webpage, which automatically resizes its width to fill the browser window by extending the width of a table cell filled with a single pixel wide image (streched to fill the cell), with one limitation. That is, the graphic files at either side of this auto resizing cell are of a fixed size, the total of which is greater than 640x480. Therefore, the minimum standard screen resolution on which the page will be displayable is 800x600.

I'm not sure that anyone still uses 640x480 but so as not to exclude anyone what I would like to do is get the webpage to detect the resolution the user is displaying and if this is less than 800x600 do either of the following:

i) divert to another web page which will explain the problem and provide instruction for the user on how to increase their screen resolution, or

ii) display a message box requesting the user increase their resolution and then refresh the page.

Can anyone tell me if / how this is possible or think of an alternative way around it?

TechMad 14:44 16 Feb 2003

Try click here and click web design. There are a number of detection scripts to be found here. Either in 'Stupid web tricks' or under 'Javascript'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?