WebMania domain registering and hosting issue

ajm 17:50 22 Aug 2004

i have my own domain name for personal purposed hosted by Easyspace. I was in the process of registering a domain name ( both .com and .co.uk) with domain hosting with easyspace when I saw from the PCA forum about the domain hosting from webmania for £20.00 for a year.

Therefore, i registered the new .com and .co.uk address and chose their 500mb hosting for £20.00. I paid the full amount from my funds in PayPal adn got a acknowledgment.

A few minutes ago, i went back to easyspace to check if the name i regsieterd with WebMania was available. TO my astonishment, EasySpace domain search came up with the confirmation that both the .co.uk and .com domains I bought from webmani are both available from Easyspace.

What has happened there? Is someone able to take my domain names before its too late for me to contact WebMania or is it a temp glitch in whoever adminsiters the names for the registrar?

Forum Editor 00:45 23 Aug 2004

Your registration will take a short while to be recorded by the high level registrars (Nominet UK in the case of .co.uk) and until that happens the name will show as available. The fact that you've requested the name from WebMania isn't the point - they must record your registration with the domain registrars. Once that happens your name is yours - at least it is for two years.

Once the registration goes through the name will be 'tagged' to WebManias' name servers, and you can immediately publish a site to your WebMania server space. The site won't be visible on the internet until the Domain name servers around the world update their databases and record the location of your new name, so that browsers can be directed there. The update process can take 24 hours, although it's often faster.

Keep checking your account details on the WebMania site - you'll see your names appear once the registrations are confirmed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?