webcasting! How?

JE-KM 15:33 14 Nov 2005

Hi,

I am in charge of a website that needs to start webcasting for 30 mins every week.

The webcast must be both live and archivable as a download, and must reside in a website (or a mediaplayer-type window must open from the website).

Does anyone have a clue what I need for this?

I figure I need a camcorder. Is it better to get solid-state, or can I record live onto the PC via firewire, and stream from there?

Also what software do I need? The server is running apache and php but we are not hosting on our own server.

Thanks

Taran 12:49 15 Nov 2005

click here for some general information on webcasts and how to go about it.

Yours is a huge question and cannot simply be abswered without knowing the nature of the webcast. I don't necessarily mean the content of the media stream, but its quality and therefore file size is very important, as is selecting an appropriate file format(s) and you will (eventually) have to produce a database to track views/downloads/visitors/archives etc.

You should also give some serious consideration to hearing impaired viewers, since you can't just turn on closed captioning like you would on a TV when watching a program.

You'd need to supply lots of detailed information before a solution could be discussed.

Try running some searches: Yahoo and similar offer webcasting and blogging services and many blogs now have webcasting built in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?