Webcams and Routers

freddie55 23:21 16 May 2005

When my pc is coupled to the internet via my Alcatel Speedtouch modem, i can view webcams, download music files etc. However if I connect through my BT Voyager 2000 router, I can't. Can anybody please advise?

LastChip 00:31 17 May 2005

Web cams often need more than one port open due to the bandwidth requirements needed to send video.

The chances are, your router has a built in firewall that is blocking too many required ports.

freddie55 06:53 17 May 2005

How do I alter that please?

LastChip 10:43 17 May 2005

First, determine whether your router has a Firewall enabled. If it does, just try disabling it for a few seconds to test whether your webcam now works. If it does, you now know where to focus your efforts.

Next, you need to find out which ports are required for the application you are using. Once you know these, there is normally a facility within the Firewall to open these ports. This is often done via a web page interface.

The documentation that came with your router should clarify the steps you need to take.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

Game of Thrones GIFs: how Eran Mendel is creating hilarious weekly GIFs based on each episode's…

How to increase storage on iPhone

Nokia 8 : rumeurs & soirée de lancement