Webcams & PC security..

.:º»[RjA]«º:. 23:03 14 Jan 2003
  .:º»[RjA]«º:. 23:03 14 Jan 2003

if i bought a webcam i can ileave my pc turned on a record what is going on around my pc or the room????

If so , how long for etc, at what quality.....

.:º»[RjA]«º:. 23:17 14 Jan 2003

_

Hobgoblin2003 00:32 15 Jan 2003

In reply to to your question, you can indeed use a standard PC camera to record what is going on in a room. I have done this myself. There are a number of freeware/shareware programs ( search on Google ) which once installed onto your pc will make your pc webcam operate like a motion detector system , so hence any movement will be recorded.

Gemma 09:44 15 Jan 2003

This is a well written package with a comprehensive set of features including automated FTP upload of images to, say, a website.

See it here: click here

TBH1 10:19 15 Jan 2003

.:º»[RjA]«º:. - - I think the only restrictions on length of recording is size od your HD - - -these files take up massive ammounts of storage, even on low quality. If you only intend to use as motion detector, I think you can specify the length of time to record. As a motion detector you can either upload to your web site, if you have one, or have a 'still' clip from it emailed to you - - -the former , if you haven't got broadband, not really feasible, the latter is done by setting the software up to , once detector is activated, it will execute a dial-up and create an email to whichever address you specify ie you could send from your home email address to your works email address.

.:º»[RjA]«º:. 13:29 15 Jan 2003

are the images stills or actual video.

.:º»[RjA]«º:. 20:04 15 Jan 2003

:o(

.:º»[RjA]«º:. 20:19 15 Jan 2003

q

.:º»[RjA]«º:. 15:34 16 Jan 2003

so is there something i should look out for when buying a webcam so that i can effectivly use it as a surveilance camera?

Any cameras i should stay away from, what specs. to have etc.

Thanky in advance

TBH1 16:38 16 Jan 2003

.:º»[RjA]«º:. - - - the images, when sent via email, are 'still' but believe if you upload to your website are video files - - -and huge. I think most webcams come with the surveillance type of software ; mine is a Creative Webcam III. There is free software out there too to do this, this type of question asked not too long ago.
PS - how do you pronaonce .:º»[RjA]«º:. ??????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?