webcams?

mad1234 13:30 06 May 2008

I know absoulutly nothing about webcams or skype or whatever but i was wondering if you guys could enlighten me.
a friend in america suggested that i should get a webcam so we can talk to each other over the internet but i am not sure that it is as easy as it sounds.
obviously i will need a webcam & broadband.
i currently have tiscali broadband & no webcam as of yet.
at the risk of sounding thicker than i already do can you just hook up the webcam & chat away using your current broadband or do you need something else?

Thanks

simmo09 13:50 06 May 2008

it just installs by USB if i remember, i tried years ago it shouldnt prove too difficult:

click here

Joe R 14:02 06 May 2008

mad1234,

used to be a pain, but now very easy and quick to install and set-up.

With most, it is just a matter of installing the software first, then connecting the webcam and letting windows install the drivers automatically.

johnnyrocker 14:22 06 May 2008

then use a messenger service for ease such as yahoo etc?

johnny

Technotiger 14:50 06 May 2008

You already have broadband so there will be not problem. If you and your friend both have Skype
click here which is very straightforward to download/install and use, plus virtually any webcam and a microphone (some webcams have mic's built-in) then you will find it is very easy to have great video chats with each other.

I use Skype regularly to talk and see, my son in Lanzarote and friends in East Africa.

I have friends in their mid-80's who also use Skype as above, to talk to relatives in Australia and USofA.

Technotiger 14:52 06 May 2008

... should read - there will be no problem.

mad1234 08:06 07 May 2008

sorry for taking so long to get back but when i got home from work i found that my laptop has had it & i have to wipe the harddrive & re-install everything again so i had to wait till now to check for replies
thanks for all your advice
i thought there would be more to it than that

thanks again

Technotiger 08:11 07 May 2008

Hope your laptop is all ok again now. Using video chat with webcam and mic with Skype, really is very easy both to set-up and to use.

Enjoy your face-to-face chats ..... Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone