webcam woes

Smitty 19:53 11 Jun 2003

My friend and I bought two webcams for the price of one at Argos (unbranded £24.99). I installed mine and it works perfectly but my friends will only show what is in front of it and will not capture either stills or motion. Also the VideoMail and VideoMonitor won't show anything at all. His computer has a 500Mhz AMD K-6, mine has a 1GHz AMD Duron. This should not make a big difference because the minimum requirements are stated as 200Mhz Pentium or equivalent. The big difference between our computers is that I have a 32Mb Gforce graphics card while his is a 4Mb S3. Does that make his camera almost useless? Any thoughts on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

mole44 19:59 11 Jun 2003

try swapping cameras if it your goes on his then his is faulty.also remove and reinstall your and most of all RFI.that is read Read Flaming instruction,you`ll learn a lot

Smitty 06:08 13 Jun 2003

The advice to RFI was received with a smile. I may be an old wrinklie but I know how to read and follow instructions. I assume that Mole is a young computer whizkid who believes that anyone with problems must be a lamer. Thank you for your response anyway Mole, at least you read my problem.
I'm sorry to say that the problem still exists despite trying my friends camera on my computer. Can anyone shed further light? Please.

-pops- 06:21 13 Jun 2003

If you have one camera that doesn't work, return it (or both) to Argos and and get a refund or exchange.

There is no reason why you should have to put up with goods "unsuitable for purpose" which, if it doesn't work, one of those cameras certainly is.

There is also no reason why you should have to mess about trying to make it work. One of them works "out of the box" they both should.

Brian
(Old but not very wrinklie)

Smitty 09:14 13 Jun 2003

Thanks very much for your comments Pops (Brian), it's good to know that there are people willing to help someone with a 'smile and a song'. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017