Webcam as a security camera

Jamie H 13:19 13 Feb 2008

I have been looking at a way to broadcast my home webcam over the t'internet, ie, so I can keep an eye on puddy cat and any potentional unwanted visitors, I followed an article last night which recommended a free program called Yawcam and lo and behold managed to get a cam image which refreshes every 15secs on to the net, set up from my main PC.

All the settings ie, port forwarding etc appear fine and I can also view the webpage on my wireless lappy.

However, if I try and access it from another machine I get a message "HTTP 403 (Forbidden) You are not authorised to view this page" (Not authorised?? It's my blinking cam!! lol)

Do any of yee good folk have any ideas as to why this might be?

Thanks all

woodchip 14:10 13 Feb 2008

click here
Shareware

dagbladet 14:43 13 Feb 2008

woodchip

I'm also interested in Jamie's query. Not sure where to go with your link.

Jamie H 14:46 13 Feb 2008

Thanks for the link - but cant seem to find where it could help with my query? Or am I just missing the obvious? lol

Thanks

johnnyrocker 15:01 13 Feb 2008

do you have a proxy set up on the one that cant connect?

johnny

Jamie H 15:04 13 Feb 2008

Not 100% sure if you want the truth as I am trying it from a works PC.

Is the fact that I am in an office with lots of PC's running through a network likely to be the cause and if so could you enlighten me as to why?

Cheers

johnnyrocker 15:15 13 Feb 2008

prob security settings by your IT fellows, best bet have a word with them.

johnny.

woodchip 21:04 13 Feb 2008

8 from top of list,is the web address I posted

click here

woodchip 21:06 13 Feb 2008

8 from top of list,is the web address I posted

click here

PS after pressing download wait and a box will pop up to save to disc

interzone55 21:17 13 Feb 2008

A 403 error is generally issued by a proxy server when it doesn't want you to view a particular website, your company IT bods have probably blocked the site that hosts your webcam.

If they're friendly types they may tell you why they've done it, if they're anything like our IT department they'll tell you why it's done, but have no way round it because our web proxy is managed by some faceless mandarin in the US

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone