WEBCAM INSTALLATION: PROBLEM WITH XP

bartonside 10:33 29 Nov 2006

I've just bought an MSI webam and very cute it is too. I started the normal installation procedure and, after a while, I received this message: "The software you are installing has not passed Windows logo testing to verify its compatability with Windows XP." I find this mystifying since one of the system requirements is Windows XP so why won't it work? My previous webcam started playing up so I deleted it but when I tried to reinstall it it declared in wouldn't work with my version of XP (which does have Service Pack 2). Any ideas asto how I can solve this?

Kate B 10:55 29 Nov 2006

You should just be able to click past that message and install the driver anyway. It just means that it hasn't been through the Microsoft driver-signing process.

bartonside 11:35 29 Nov 2006

Thanks Katie. The thing that slightly worries me is that the message is accompanied by a warning that carrying on with the setup may damage the system.

anskyber 11:41 29 Nov 2006

It will. There is a risk but a small one if your camera is from a reputable manufacturer. My experience has been that more of the software (from very reliable companies) does not come signed as Kate has mentioned than comes signed.

anskyber 11:42 29 Nov 2006

When I say it will I meant it will carry the warning message rather than damaging your PC.

jimv7 11:44 29 Nov 2006

As Kate B has said, ignore the warning and install it.

Not passed the compatability test means that MSI have not paid microsoft for testing the drivers, (as I understand it).

If in doubt, create a restore point prior to the install, you can always revert back then.

Kate B 11:47 29 Nov 2006

It's Kate, not Katie ;)

bartonside 12:31 29 Nov 2006

Good news! My cute webcam (looks like something out of Star Wars!) is safely installed and working and my computer did not collapse in a heap. Many thanks everyone!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?