a webcam on a home network ??

Ikelos 12:24 12 May 2009

Hi, I have two laptops on a wireless network, using a BT router, and a wireless printer, is it possible that the webcam I have which is connected to the laptop upstairs, where the printer is, to be able to see all via the webcam downstairs.........IE, see the printer, instead of keep going up to see if it is working.

I hope that all makes sense......

something free if possible

Thanks

Technotiger 12:39 12 May 2009

Any webcam can only see what it's eye/lens can see, so the webcam downstairs will not be able to see what is happening upstairs.

A Video Sender set-up might be able to do what you want though.

Ikelos 12:42 12 May 2009

thank you for that, i will think again...

Technotiger 12:43 12 May 2009
  Ikelos 13:06 12 May 2009

thanks again, certainly a lot to choose from, when this started I had visions of somehow plugging the webcam into one laptop via usb, and then using the wireless network to see the image on another pc..

T0SH 13:27 12 May 2009

This may get you what you want can`t say for sure though since I have not tried it

click here

Cheers HC

oldbeefer2 13:28 12 May 2009

You could do that with a remote viewer such as Teamviewer (which is free). It enables one computer to see the screen of another and manipulate that remote computer click here

oldbeefer2 13:42 12 May 2009

Just thought - not sure that it will work on a network - designed for computers with separate addresses.

Ikelos 13:47 12 May 2009

thanks all, I will give "team viewer" a go and see what happens, must make a restore point, :-))

Ikelos 13:48 12 May 2009

oh, cancel that last post, think you might be right..............

anyway,thanks again............

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?