WebCam advice please

csqwared 19:21 28 Dec 2007

Hi

I'm considering adding a webcam to my system (relatives in London & Oz)but have a couple of questions if you coud advise please. The cams I've looked at either have a megapixel rating or a frame per second rating - which should I be looking at, and do they influence the speed of transmission and/or picture quality? My system is a Foxconn mobo, 2.8Ghz Celeron CPU,512mb DDR ram, Nvidia GeForce FX5200 graphics card, would I need to alter/upgrade anything? and lastly has anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks very much

cc

Technotiger 19:25 28 Dec 2007

Frame rate is more important than megapixel, but just about any web-cam will do what you want. Power of PC re CPU/Memory/hard drive rpm all play a part. IMHO the best program to use is Skype.

Technotiger 19:26 28 Dec 2007

On your system, more Memory might help - 512Mb these days, though workable, is a bit below the norm, which generally is 1Gb or more.

Stuartli 19:27 28 Dec 2007

Even a £10 webcam will achieve what you require - my webcam's frame rate is set at 15fps, which is more than adequate for the purpose it is being used.

Technotiger 19:29 28 Dec 2007

Plenty of webcams, with microphone to choose from - Logitech is generally a favourite.

click here

clayton 19:30 28 Dec 2007

Got this one from pc world the other day & got them to price match +10% off, ive not used it yet though.

click here

woodchip 19:31 28 Dec 2007

You need to keep Picture size small so it does not jerk as much. It mostly depends on how good a upload speed you have on BB

csqwared 19:35 28 Dec 2007

My intention was to use Skype, was at son-in-law's in London when he set his up and it seemed a breeze. He set up two systems, one a Logitech & the other a Microsoft and the Logitech did seem easier to set up. I did think the memory might be a bit of an issue and had more or less decided to add some more.

Thank you all for the input, I'll leave this unticked for now and see if I can glean some more tips.

Ta V Much

cc

Technotiger 19:35 28 Dec 2007

Sorry to contradict you mate, but I normally run mine at full screen, neither pixilation nor framerate is a problem.

But you are quite correct about Broadband speeds.

csqwared 15:59 29 Dec 2007

so I'll close the thread and thanks to everyone for the input.

cc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?