web sites very slow to open

carnoustiejim 12:17 30 Nov 2008

hi can you advise me how to get my pc to load websites faster
for about the last month they have been very slow
i have cleaned pc using avg,search and destoy,spyware doctor,malware bytes,cc cleaner.
still slow thanks for any help
wxp home

octal 13:22 30 Nov 2008

Who is your ISP? If you are using it in the evening it could be being traffic managed because of the number of people using the network. This happens to me, I'm on 10MB broadband and sometimes the connection drops to as low as 1MB in the evening, in the mornings the speed is normally up to nearly the full 10MB. It's really annoying when they advertise 10M broadband when you get nothing like that in the evening, just 'cos they say up to 10M.

oldbeefer2 13:24 30 Nov 2008

You could try switching your router off for 30 secs - might help.

geedad 13:29 30 Nov 2008

octal
I have just posted a similar query about my slow connection. I use ntlworld.com and OE 6, and it is taking a coule of hours to connect.
If you read my posting (a few minutes ago) you will see an error message when trying to get my emails. I have uninstalled AVG, hoping that may solve the problem, but I won't know until say, tomorrow.
geedad

birdface 18:55 30 Nov 2008

Try command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns small gap between ipconfig and forward slash or it will not work.It should tell you DNS Cache has been flushed,If so reboot and see if any quicker.

carnoustiejim 20:29 30 Nov 2008

hi thanks just in try suggestions later thanks kirriejim

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?