Web Site rebuild

steve263000 10:03 15 Dec 2006

Hi all,

I built my original web site many years ago, and have just tinkered with it adding on bits and pieces over the years. Finally I had one tinker to many, and it looked even to me a complete mess.

So, I have spent all my spare time in the last month or so rebuilding it. I would like a bit of gentle critique if you could be so kind. There are still one or two glitches that need to be sorted out, but I had a job finding them,so I hope that they will not stand out to much.

I will fix them next week after I get back from a break away from this.

Please check out wclick here and let me know what you think of it generally.

RicScott 12:53 15 Dec 2006

Would look better if everything was laid out in CSS instead of tables..
I can see that you have used some CSS already but a bit more for the layout would have been better..

kinger 16:29 15 Dec 2006

It seems you've worked very hard on the site ... plenty of information within.

Your links to Amazon etc. can earn you an income if you join their affiliate schemes.

This is when a person clicks on the Amazon link and then buys something, you get a percentage of the sale each time.

I can't see the meta-data anywhere but it would be good to fill that in. Keywords and site description etc., this will rank you on the search engines after just a few weeks so that anyone typing in words or phrases to do with your subject will find your site.

Very interesting, well done.

RicScott 16:41 15 Dec 2006

click here

Just an idea for you Steve...

kinger 17:54 15 Dec 2006

Nice touch RicScott, there's even room for some Google AdSense code, now.

steve263000 19:45 17 Dec 2006

Thank you both for the ideas and critique. The menu's I will leave alone, as they have been simplified for the site, and the small menu will appear on all pages, with the links leading to the various sections. However, I will look at a Amazon link, and Meta Data.

steve263000 22:18 18 Dec 2006

Just as a small matter of Meta Tagging. I was just searching on the subject on Google, and this is what I came up with, click here

That seems to me that is simply not worth the bother of putting these tags in. Is there a decent way to get the search engines to find you? Or will they just find your site anyway?

Forum Editor 23:29 19 Dec 2006

Google will find you and index you in its own way.

steve263000 08:09 20 Dec 2006

Thank you for the reply. I used to Meta Tag my sites, but after reading various articles in here and elsewhere, I did not bother, and now, will leave that side of it.

acsmanhtml12 14:47 20 Dec 2006

i think the site could benefit from a really nice css design. The JavaScript image changer is a nice touch and plus points on the typography. - for no links and every other link being at tje bottom.

steve263000 17:06 20 Dec 2006

Thank you all for your comments, which on the whole have been very pleasant and instructive. As some of you will have noticed, I have not used CSS to any extent. Mainly because I do not know how!

I use Front Page themes, written in WYSIWYG, and use tables to control the size of the script so that it does not spread to far over the screen. A tip that I picked up here several years ago.

I have tried, and I think suceeded in building a fairly interesting site, using the knowledge that I have gained over the years. At least I think it is interesting! I have got plenty of room to display my photos, and as I tend to take them by the hundred when we go anywhere, I need it.

I have gained a great deal over the years from this forum, and I would like to say thank you to all that have helped me over the years, and have taken the time to look at my sites and commented on them, often extending the knowledge that I have gained.

CSS will have to stay in the box for now, as I simply have not got the time to learn it. To all of you in the forums, I would like to wish click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone