web site ID- what do you do?

jack 12:17 07 May 2007

Many web sites have user I/D and password systems for our protection.
Some of which in Fire Fox remembers as on here
or E-bay.
But on some, although FireFox did ask if I wanted it to remember- it does not come up with the goods,
So i have to scrabble about in my password /registration folder- which is on an external HDD to find the one I want to copy/paste.
All a bit of a palaver really
So what do you do?

missingit 12:24 07 May 2007

I use this,the pro version.Have done for years.
click here

Forum Editor 12:26 07 May 2007

I always use the same username - which is alpha-numeric, and then I use a password system based on an easy-to-remember formula.

I use one password for all e-commerce sites, another for information sites, and a third for all other sites. Every month I change the passwords using a simple code. I never forget a password, once I know which month I'm in, and what type of site I'm on. Neither the username or the passwords are stored anywhere but in my head.

The key is simplicity - it's easy to come up with a system that has no recogniseable pattern, provided you think carefully about your convention before you start.

jack 14:26 07 May 2007

FE- Like you mostly it is really simple- providing it is a user/password one provides for oneself.
However in the case that prompted the post the I/D is a long alphanumeric string that the site gave me.
I should have mentioned that in the original post.

Technotiger 14:51 07 May 2007

Hi, most auto-generated passwords include the option for the user to change the password to one of their own.

jack 18:07 07 May 2007

I'll look into missing git offering and yes Techno
some but not all it seems.
I'll close this one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017