WEB site access

baldyx 12:21 06 Apr 2009

When I try access a web site, the message displayed is :

Trusted site :click here
Trusted site :res://ieframe.dll
Do you want to allow opening this site?

When I select either 'YES' or 'NO', the web site Ask.com is displayed instead of the the one I want to access !

Any ideas please.

Sea Urchin 12:48 06 Apr 2009

Try this

go to Tools/Internet Options/Security tab/click on Trusted Sites/click on Custom Level.../ scroll down to "Websites in less privileged web content zone etc...." - if it is set to Enable then Disable (or if it is set to Disable then Enable) and click OK etc.

If this doesn't solve the problem (or if it causes any other problem) then repeat the process and set it back to how it was.

Sea Urchin 12:52 06 Apr 2009

It also sounds as though you have unwittingly downloaded the Ask Toolbar with some other software - if you don't want it I suggest you uninstall it via Control Panel/Add Remove Programs.

birdface 15:43 06 Apr 2009

Well I can't open it.IE8 with Virgin.

birdface 15:48 06 Apr 2009

Had another look.In address bar it comes up as http//fls/ and thats all.

baldyx 21:27 08 Apr 2009

Sea Urchin - thanks.

Control Panel/Add Remove Programs does not show the 'Ask' program. How else can i remove it.

Sea Urchin 21:49 08 Apr 2009

On reflection I think you were simply being redirected to the Ask.com site and probably don't have the Ask toolbar installed. Did you manage to sort the main problem?

baldyx 21:09 10 Apr 2009

Sea Urchin - 1. I made the change in Tools >Internet option ..as you suggested but that change did not work . That change actually stopped me using a valid Trusted web site which I used to access before, so i reverted back the change.
Any way the original problem has somehow disappeared !

2. I have the Ask tool bar installed as it is shown under the Menu bar. I don't actually use it so wnat to remove it somehow.

Sea Urchin 22:19 10 Apr 2009

Strangely you ended up doing the correct thing - I should have told you to disable the "Websites ..." button and then re-enable it again to try and clear the problem, and I advised you wrongly. So a happy outcome.

With regard to the Ask Toolbar it should appear in Add/Remove Programs as Ask Toolbar so that you can uninstall it. But you can disable it in IE by right-clicking on the Menu Bar and clicking Ask Toolbar.

baldyx 12:08 11 Apr 2009

Actually the ASk toolbar appears as 'Ask Dictionary Toolbar' in Add or remove programs' & in the Menu ..
Have now uninstalled it.

Thanks for your help.

Sea Urchin 23:14 12 Apr 2009

Glad it's sorted - I was just guessing at the name in Add/Remove Programs as I've always avoided installing it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?