web protection

edee66 14:01 07 Sep 2005

I recently purchased HTML-Protector. I encrypted the web pages and uploaded them. Problem is I seem to have 'overprotected' them! When I try to do anything I receive an error msg saying my browser needs javascript (which it has). I have tried unblocking this or removing it according to instructions (FrPg 2000)to no avail. I ran it through the (protect) prog aagain to try and unprotect it but to no avail. The prog assistant doesn't seem to have a clue. I have even tried deleting the html encryption in the domain but it won't allow me to do it. Any ideas how I can get my website back? (backups don't seem to work and I can't import or upload).

Thanks

Forum Editor 19:25 08 Sep 2005

or of any other code-protection software; my own view is that these utilities are totally unnecessary.

All these programs work in much the same way - by encrypting the HTML source code - and some of them compress the files as well. As you've discovered, things can go wrong, and I doubt that there's much any of us can do to help in this case.

If you have an unencrypted back-up of the site I suggest that you delete everything on the server and upload the backup. Then throw the HTML protector in the bin, and resign yourself to the fact that you've wasted £17.21

Forum Editor 19:27 08 Sep 2005

Have you contacted the suppliers about this? I see from the website that there's a 24-hour email support service - or so they say -
click here

edee66 10:56 09 Sep 2005

Thanks Ed, yes I have been in touch with the co but I get the impression they are floundering for answers. The discerning thing was. It made a copy as it encrypted. But it turned out that even though I changed the extension to htm (as instructed) the copy itself was encrypted!. It is so well encrypted I can't upload, download or edit at all, its pathetic. I used to have robots written in to the tags prior to this but lost them after format and had'nt wrote them down. I have now resigned myself to building the website again and hopefull just transering text and graphs. I know I have a lot to learn but not this way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone