Web Pages, not authorised to view etc

GBL 15:35 08 Sep 2006

I use XP Pro and Zone Alarm Pro with AVG as anti virus. The latter two are on default settings.

I keep coming across web pages where I am informed that I am not authorised to view or similar messages. Is that anything to do with my settings??
I was recently looking via Google at Wills etc and came across this quite often. Even switching Zone Alarm off didn't help, I don't like to do that.

anskyber 16:04 08 Sep 2006

When you switch ZoneAlarm off did you refresh the page? I had a similar experience which was overcome by using the cookie control on IE rather than the one in ZA.

anskyber 16:12 08 Sep 2006

I should have added that the ZA adblocking if set high will produce the same effect. Try it in different positions.

GBL 17:25 08 Sep 2006

Yes and even tried to download the whole site again etc.
Not too sure what you mean by the Adblocking part.
I am running out of time tonight but will be back on line in the morning to have a go.

Thanks.

Stuartli 17:30 08 Sep 2006

Some websites are blocked to other than those authorised to view them - you did say you were looking at wills, which might qualify...:-)

GBL 17:54 08 Sep 2006

How do you get authorisation, i think one was the Saga website and a dowload using Acrobat, but have come across it may times not just on that one. That is why I wondered whether it was my settings on something or other. Strange things these puters.

GBL 14:18 16 Sep 2006

Further to this problem, I see that the message "HTTP 403 Forbidden" appears at the top to the screen.

Jak_1 17:27 16 Sep 2006

"HTTP 403 Forbidden"
This usually means that the server peeps have blocked the whole site. Usually for illegal/ inapropriate content that would render them liable to penalties under the laws of the country that the server is located.

Jak_1 17:30 16 Sep 2006

This should help:

click here

GBL 19:18 16 Sep 2006

I follow what Jak-1 has said but find it hard to understand why my local Parish Council site would fall into that catagory. Most of the sites I find unable to access are giving information etc so again unable to understand that the content is illegal etc.

VoG II 19:20 16 Sep 2006

This error means you’re trying to get into a Web site that’s password protected – or the Web server is blocking users from your domain. Some institutional sites only allow access to official users, or it may be a subscription-only site.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?